Looking for a soul soothing soup you can share with friends? Look no further. This Green Chile Tortilla Soup is just that. It’s a simple broth of fire roasted chile, cumin and corn tortilla topped with cilantro, cotija and shredded rotisserie chicken. I mean, how easy is that? It’s perfect for a small gathering of friends because it’s ready in 30 minutes, which leaves more time conversing with your guests. And….it’s so easy to make vegetarian, just skip the rotisserie chicken on top and problem solved!
Green Chile Tortilla Soup with Shredded Chicken
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 large shallots, halved and sliced thinly
- 3 clove garlic, minced
- 1 pasilla pepper, halved and sliced in strips
- 14 oz fire roasted green chiles
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp chipotle powder or cayenne
- 2 cubes Knorr tomato chicken bouillon
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1 tbsp cilantro, rough chopped
- 1/2 cup corn, frozen
- 1 small corn tortilla, torn into very small pieces
- 18 tortilla chips
- 1 lime, sliced in wedges for serving
- 1 rotisserie chicken, shredded
- 1/2 cup cotija cheese for serving
- Saute shallot and garlic in a soup pot over medium heat, stirring continuously for 2-3 minutes.
- Add diced green chile and pasilla pepper, saute for an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Add salt, pepper, cumin, chipotle powder, tomato bouillon and chicken broth. Bring to a simmer and add cilantro, corn and torn corn tortilla.
- Continue to simmer for at least 30 minutes.
- Taste test for salt.
- Serve in bowl and garnish by floating 3 tortilla chips in broth. Top with cilantro and cotija cheese. Place lime on side.