Sometimes simple is satisfying. This recipe features a fillet of snapper that has been lightly coated in cornmeal and gently pan fried. The fillet sits in a simple broth of Mexican inspired herbs and spices.
Snapper in Spicy Tomato Broth
Lightly coated snapper in a simple spicy tomato broth
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 10 minutes
Total Time 20 minutes
- 4 small fillets snapper
- 1 cup cornmeal
- ¼ cup flour
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ yellow onion frenched
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 5 cherry tomatoes halved
- ⅓ jalapeno sliced
- 1 tomato chicken bouillon cube
- 3 cups water
- 2 bay leaves
- ¼ tsp coriander
- ¼ tsp New Mexico chili powder
- 1 pinch red chili flakes
- In a pot over medium heat cook onions in olive oil until softened.
- Add cherry tomatoes, cook for 2 minutes.
- Add remaining broth ingredients, cook on low until fish is done.
- Combine cornmeal and flour in a small bowl.
- Dredge each fillet in cornmeal mixture.
- Pan fry in butter and olive oil over medium heat until golden brown.
- Serve in broth.