A perfect twist on the traditional, this Pumpkin Cream Pie with Chili Lime Pepitas combines layers of pumpkin and whipped cream over a graham cracker crust.
Everyone brings traditional pumpkin pie to the Thanksgiving Day table….so why not turn some heads this holiday season with this Pumpkin Cream Pie with Chili Lime Pepitas? Graham cracker crust is the base for a spiced pumpkin pastry cream and lime-zested whipped cream. Topped with chili lime pepitas that add a little crunch and a little spice for some added excitement. And the best part is NO BAKING! Just throw that baby in the fridge for at least an hour and you are good to go! More room in the oven for all those yummy Thanksgiving side dishes.
Let’s talk a little about the pumpkin puree needed for this Pumpkin Cream Pie. You could make your own, but I ALWAYS use Libby’s because my mother always used Libby’s and well, it’s just really good. Make sure you are getting the Libby’s Pure Pumpkin Puree (not the Pumpkin Pie Filling).
Pumpkin Cream Pie with Chili Lime Pepitas
- 3/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
Whipped Cream Layer
- 1 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tsp light brown sugar
- 1/2 lime zested and juiced
- 1 graham cracker crust
- 1/4 cup chili-lime pepitas
- Combine pumpkin puree, milk, heavy cream and pumpkin spice in a pan over medium heat until warmed.
- Combine egg yolks, sugars, flour, and salt in a bowl until smooth.
- Mix the egg yolk mixture into the pumpkin mixture and cook over medium high heat, stirring continuously, until thickened.
- Pour mixture into graham cracker crust.
Whipped Cream Layer
- Place heavy cream, sour cream, light brown sugar and vanilla extract in a chilled bowl and whip at high speed until stiff peaks form. Fold in lime juice and zest.
- Spread whipped cream over pumpkin layer.
- Top with chili-lime pepitas and chill for at least 1 hour.