Using coca cola when cooking pork roast adds such a nice caramelized outer crust that is hard to get when cooking in liquid, but this method sears the roast first, sealing in all the flavor and cooks in cola for extra flavor and color. My friend made a batch of pickled jalapenos and for my birthday I was lucky enough to get a couple jars, which meant I needed a recipe to use them with and this Cola Shredded Pork Sliders with Kale Apple Slaw sounded just perfect. I just happened to have kale and apples in my fridge and they hold up nicely in this slaw, which can be kept in the fridge for a day, in case you have leftovers! This recipe is pretty easy and can be made in a slow cooker, but you won’t get the same outer crust.
Cola Shredded Pork Sliders with Kale Apple Slaw
- 1 5 lb pork picnic roast, bone in
- 1/4 cup Cajun seasoning
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup brown mustard
- 1 tbsp bacon grease or lard
- 2 cans coca cola
- 1 medium yellow onion, quartered
- 1/4 cup Stubb’s Hickory Bourbon BBQ sauce plus extra for serving
- 1 1/2 cup water or enough to just cover the roast
- 2 packages brioche slider rolls warmed
Kale Apple Slaw
- 1 carrot, peeled and cut in matchsticks
- 1 apple, peeled and cut in matchsticks
- 3 cups kale, thinly chopped
- 1/2 cup purple cabbage, thinly chopped
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 splash milk to thin
- 1 pinch salt and pepper
- Rub roast with brown mustard. Massage in Cajun seasoning and brown sugar.
- Heat a large cast iron pot over medium high heat.
- Place bacon grease in pot and sear roast, rotating sides until browned all over.
- Add coca cola, onion, BBQ sauce and water.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for about 4 hours or until when pierced with fork, meat pulls away in strands.
Kale Apple Slaw
- In a small bowl combine mayonnaise, vinegar, sugar, milk and salt / pepper.
- In a medium bowl, combine vegetables and toss with mayonnaise mixture. Let site for at least 5-10 minutes.
- Serve over shredded pork on a slider roll. Add pickled jalapenos. if desired.