Get cantina style Tacos al Carbon with this easy recipe on the grill. Charred pieces of seasoned pork and pineapple with an array of toppings make for the perfect Cinco de Mayo party spread.
My all time favorite taco is Tacos al Carbon. Charred, crispy pieces of seasoned pork and juicy pineapple wrapped up in a soft tortilla and served with all the best toppings like crunchy radish, tangy cotija cheese and fresh cilantro.
This is the kind of taco that usually takes hours roasted over a smoky pit, then shaved off in tender slivers. A cross between Middle Eastern and South American techniques and flavors that now can be made on your grill at home with this easy kabob style method. And it’s perfect for your Cinco de Mayo party. Serve it with my super easy Salsa Verde https://theherbalistandthecarnivore.com/2019/04/25/salsa-verde/
Tacos al Pastor
- 1.5 lb pork shoulder roast, thin sliced on rounds
- 2 tbsp sazon seasoning (in Mexican foods store or see below)
- 2 tbsp chipotle in adobo sauce (just the adobe sauce – save remaining in freezer
- 1/2 pineapple, skin removed and cut thinly in rounds
- 1 tbsp achiote
- 1 tbsp coriander
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tbsp oregano
- salt and pepper
- 12 small flour tortillas blistered on grill
- 3-4 radish, diced for garnish
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped for garnish
- 1/4 cup cotija cheese for garnish
- 1 lime, sliced for garnish
- Blend together sazon seasoning and adobo sauce. Massage into pork rounds and refrigerate for 30 minutes. Layer pineapple and pork slices into a tall even stack and pierce with several kabob sticks (I used 4 kabob sticks).
- Grill on indirect heat, cooking slowly and rotating until charred and cooked through. Remove and rough chop. Serve with blistered tortillas and toppings.