Is it lunch time yet? This seasoned patty gets grilled, smothered in caramelized onions and mushrooms, then topped with melty sharp white cheddar cheese and served between two sourdough sandwich rounds.
What makes a Grilled Patty Melt a patty melt and not a burger? Well, I’m glad you asked. Patty melts skip the bun and use use a good quality bread. Usually rye, but I’m loving @seattlebaking Sourdough Sandwich Rounds. They crisp up really nicely and are the perfect shape for a patty. This ground beef patty gets seasoned a little more than your burger. Onion and garlic powder add a depth of flavor that goes perfectly with grilled onions and mushrooms. And you definitely need a good melting cheese. I can’t think of a better choice than @tillamook Sharp White Cheddar to really highlight the onion and mushrooms. It’s got the perfect melt to give you a nice melty drip down the side of the patty and that sharp cheddar tanginess to brighten everything up. A N D finally, that special sauce, which most of us know by now is a blend of mayonnaise, ketchup and sweet relish.
Grilled Patty Melt
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 12 drops Worcestershire sauce (about 3 drops per patty)
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 4 sourdough sandwich rounds (such as Seattle Baking) toasted in toaster
- 1/2 cup micro greens (found in produce usually next to sprouts)
- 8 large sharp white cheddar cheese slices (such as Tillamook)
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 tbsp sweet relish
Onions and Mushrooms
- 1 medium sweet yellow onion thinly sliced in rounds
- 2 cups mushrooms (button, baby bella, cremini) sliced
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/4 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- Fire up the grill. I prefer charcoal. If using charcoal, make sure to wait until coals are completely grey.
- Form ground beef into 4 round patties. Using thumb, press in the middle to make an indentation so edges are a little bigger. This helps in cooking evenly.
- In a small bowl, mix together onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Season each side of each patty. Drizzle each side of each patty with vegetable oil.
- Grill patties making sure to get a nice browned crust on each side. After you have flipped to grill second side of patty, add 1/4 of the onion/mushroom mixture on each patty and top with 2 slices of sharp white cheddar cheese. Cover and cook until cheese is melted.
- Serve on toasted sourdough sandwich rounds that have been smeared with special sauce and top with 1/4 of the micro greens.
- Blend all ingredients together until smooth.
Onions and Mushrooms
- heat a large saute pan over medium high heat. Add oil and half of the butter. Add onion rings and cook, stirring frequently until softened. Add mushrooms and stir together. Add remaining butter. Cook for about 5 minutes or until nice and caramelized.