Grilled Patty Melt
This seasoned patty gets grilled, smothered in caramelized onions and mushrooms, then topped with melty sharp white cheddar cheese and served between two sourdough sandwich rounds
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time10 mins
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 12 drops Worcestershire sauce (about 3 drops per patty)
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 4 sourdough sandwich rounds (such as Seattle Baking) toasted in toaster
- 1/2 cup micro greens (found in produce usually next to sprouts)
- 8 large sharp white cheddar cheese slices (such as Tillamook)
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 tbsp sweet relish
Onions and Mushrooms
- 1 medium sweet yellow onion thinly sliced in rounds
- 2 cups mushrooms (button, baby bella, cremini) sliced
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/4 tsp Worcestershire sauce
Fire up the grill. I prefer charcoal. If using charcoal, make sure to wait until coals are completely grey.
Form ground beef into 4 round patties. Using thumb, press in the middle to make an indentation so edges are a little bigger. This helps in cooking evenly.
In a small bowl, mix together onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Season each side of each patty. Drizzle each side of each patty with vegetable oil.
Grill patties making sure to get a nice browned crust on each side. After you have flipped to grill second side of patty, add 1/4 of the onion/mushroom mixture on each patty and top with 2 slices of sharp white cheddar cheese. Cover and cook until cheese is melted.
Serve on toasted sourdough sandwich rounds that have been smeared with special sauce and top with 1/4 of the micro greens.